rev apps on iPhone?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sun Jun 29 11:31:26 EDT 2008

> > XCode and Visual <put language here> are really neat development
> > environments, compared with MPW, ZBasic, MS Basic,
> QuickBasic, Think
> > Pascal, Think C, etc. I'd expect the typical school boy or
> girl to be
> > able to learn all the ins and outs of nowadays development
> > environments during summer holidays, just like I did with
> HyperCard 20
> > years ago.
>
> Sounds attractively simple. Maybe we should be using XCode.
>
> How many XCode apps have you shipped?

Of Mark's list, most of those environments are sold old or dead, there isnt
a really fair comparison with Xcode of Visual Studio.

We use Xcode for Valentina Studio, and of course with Valentina for Cocoa
("we" as in, our poor, overworked development team). Going from CodeWarrior
to Xcode was not all that easy, even for very experienced C++ developers - I
don't think this is a summer fun sort of thing to do. And since to keep up
with the Jones on pretty Mac features you end up updating your projects to
the latest and greatest, if often makes it hard to provide backwards
compatibility with various iterations of Mac OS X.

I don't think you see that much migration now from various RAD tools to
xCode now. Several years ago, when REALbasic was Mac only, there was much
more serious competition in the Mac only RAD tool market, and it was into
that market that xCode first broke. I know of many developers that jumped
onto xCode and rarely looked back - but their intent really never was to
support Windows or Linux.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software Publishing