rev apps on iPhone?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 20:45:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Josh Mellicker <josh at dvcreators.net> wrote:

> To me, continuing to refine Rev's power in making it easier to work with
> databases, improving table fields, Quicktime and AVI functions, adding more
> standard widgets like popup calendars and various types of grids, better
> text processing... in my opinion, improving those core functions is so much
> more important than trying to make it a do everything solution, especially
> for a smaller company.

 I tend to agree with this, but on the other hand I don't.

Sometimes I read posts here about people wanting better this, or better
that, and usually they make a reference to some app like; 'it's been in
FileMaker for years, like Excel has, similar to PowerPoint, just like
iTunes, etc etc'. This is worse than comparing chalk to cheese. I rarely see
any 'I want x,y or x, just like Xcode, or name your favourite development
environment.' I don't know, I've never really done much with Xcode, but I
imagine creating a table that works just like Excel probably takes a lot of
hard work.

So I ask, what is Revs 'core function'. Is it to become more like
FileMaker,Excel,PowerPoint,iCal,PhotoShop,etc etc? or is to make
cross-platform app development 'in general' easier? (I guess the definition
of 'in general' is where opinion will be most varied:-)

I've read that the iPhone platform is one of the fastest growing platforms
and will, maybe already does, exceed both Linux and Mac platforms in terms
of total numbers. IF that is the case, and IF what Terry says about the
differences are correct, then if I were RunRev I'd be very very seriously
looking at the prospects of iPhone development.

IMO to bring Rev like development to the iPhone would ignite a HyperCard
like cult - the size of which depending very much on cost. I'm sure there
are school loads of kids out there who when faced with the effort required
to labour through Xcode, would just give up. But with the 'core' ease of Rev
it would be a whole new ball game. Sure, they won't produce anything like
FileMaker or iCal etc, but neither did the vast majority of HC users. Again,
price of entry would be the key sticking point here.

I already have an 'App' (loose use of the term) I developed with a Palm Db
program. I do a text dump from my Palm to my Mac and then use Rev to read
the file and feed it into a Rev app. If I could develop apps on the iPhone
I'd buy an iPhone. Yes, I don't own one now, but if I could develop little
utilities for the iPhone in Rev then I already have a couple of little thing
in mind that I could throw together and that would be enough to justify
buying an iPhone.

Just my 2 clams worth