SSL and PostgreSQL

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Fri Jun 27 19:29:13 EDT 2008

Context:

We want to implement a client server application (2 tier) over the net,
a Rev client on Mac/PC, using the Rev database library functions, to
talk directly to a PostgreSQL database on a remote server.

For security purposes, PostgreSQL has the right stuff such as SSL and
it's own firewall.

We realize that a 3 tier architecture may be more secure in general, but
we have reasons to want to do this, and it's for a very limited number
of users strictly controlled  (for example, we can restrict which IP
addresses are allowed to connect.)

Problem:

What about Revolution?  Does it have the right stuff?  The documentation
on the revOpenDataBase function is not entirely clear - but it seems to
indicate that SSL only works on MySQL?  Is that true?

Also, the user manual hints that SSL functionality may not be available in
the database library except in the Enterprise edition.  Is that correct?

Solution:

What's the scoop?  Can we use the rev built in DB functions over SSL
to Postgres?  Anyone know?  Anyone doing it?