Taking Control: Cross Platform ?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 06:26:40 EDT 2008

This is a thought that came up in connexion with the question about on-screen keyboards because the answer to how key-commands can be passed on another program/application as well as a RR stack/standalone always seems to involve Visual Basic or AppleScript or something "Linuxxy" (this is not intended to be offensive to those whose primary platform is a Linux variety; more an indication of my ignorance).

My problems/questions are:

1. How to pass key-downs to other programs simultaneously to their being recognised by RR using RR alone - is this possible ?

2. Suppose I am running a RR standalone and a word-processor (e.g. Open Office Org) and a web-browser (e.g. FireFox) [Yup, deliberately chose open source examples]; how do I ensure that key-downs are trapped by the RR standalone and the word-processor and not by the web-browser ???

I am not expecting any answers anytime soon . . .

However I hope that this "bite" will give lots of people sore patches that will keep itching until somebody works out how this can be done.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.