Hello... Its good to be back. Is this the place to be or is the forum now it?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 03:42:59 EDT 2008

Malte Brill wrote:

> ....So, how do you like Rev on Linux. I haven´t done any dev work under
> Linux yet, only checking if the standalones do work. Does it feel like
> other apps you are running under Linux?

Yes, viewed from here it looks pretty similar to other Linux apps.  Since
like most people I use a mixture of packages from the two large Linux
denominations, and also a few from one or two of the splinter churches,
there isn't exactly much of a standard look and feel, but Rev behaves
perfectly acceptably in these terms now that the file dialogs have gone
native, with 2.9.

There are still some difficulties with printing.  One is that at least under
one particular Debian installation, where every other application finds and
uses the printer, Rev does not.  It could be an oddity of the installation,
but it seems strange that Rev is without exception the only app to have a
problem.  The other issue is printing fields (bug filed).  Printing cards
works fine.  But I haven't been able to get printing fields to work properly
on a couple of installations, even ones where the printer is found and used
correctly.  Not completely sure that in a standalone, default folders work
exactly as one would expect either, but I fixed that by making the user set
the default folder explicitly at first use.

It still does not support multiple desktops properly.  This is probably the
only remaining really large way in which it does not work like all other
Linux apps.  You cannot, for instance, put your dictionary on a separate
desktop.  The only way is to open a second copy in the second desktop.  This
is serious, and its been a filed bug for a long time now, but we seem to
have to live with it.

Peter