App restart after update

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jun 17 20:37:09 EDT 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 1:49 AM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

> My application can update itself by downloading and placing the new
> version in the appropriate spot. To utilize the new version the user
> has to quit the old version and relaunch it which brings up the new
> version.
>
> An example of this is Firefox which downloads the new file, expands
> it, quits the running application, and then relaunches the new one
> (and I presume deletes the old version).
>
> Quitting the application after the download is easy but how do I
> have the computer automatically relaunch it?
>
> I would need this for Macintosh and Windows and Linux.

Hey Bill,

Are you replacing the executable when you install the new version or
just the stacks? I ask because if you are just replacing stacks then
you just need to unload all stacks from memory and reinitialize
everything.

If you do need to quit the application and relaunch a new executable
then email me off-list and I can send you the relevant parts of the
GLX Application Framework that relaunch an executable on Mac and
Windows. I just finished up some updates to this area of the code.

I don't have anything for Linux but the Sparkle framework (OS X only)
uses a script for relaunching that may be portable to Linux. I've
wanted to switch to a script on OS X (I use a small launcher app I
made in XCode for relaunching right now) so it would be interesting to
take a look at it again.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore