[Semi-OT] FTP permissions problems

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 22:27:23 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I have several Rev applications that use the FTP commands to create
web pages & images and upload them via FTP to a web server. Now I am
trying to change to running this web server internally on an OS X
machine. I have enabled FTP access and set up the folders and the
uploading is working perfectly. This is just using Mac OS X's standard
File sharing via FTP. However when I try to connect using a web
browser, I don't have permission to look at the files. When using
exactly the same FTP commands on an external server, this was never a
problem, so what is going on.

The folder the files are going into is set to have the correct access
(644), so if I go to the folder and manually apply the permission to
the enclosed items, it all works, however this is not a workable
solution as there will be new files every now & then.

I tried using libURLftpCommand with "SITE CHMOD" but just get "550: No
such file or directory". Checking the "SITE HELP" I see that it does
support CHMOD, and the files I am trying to change really do exist, so
what am I doing wrong, and how can I get my Rev apps to fix it?

TIA,
Sarah