Text encoding problem

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:39:22 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I am having a text encoding problem with data that an app is importing
into an XML file.
The data that's causing me problems at the moment comes form an Excel
spreadsheet under Windows, but the solution has to be cross-platform.

The user is pasting in a list that my app imports and some text
contains an curly apostrophe: numToChar(213).
The standard apostrophe is numToChar(39) and that imports perfectly
into the XML.

However numToChar(213) does not work correctly. It gives weird
characters and in one case, where there were 2 of these characters
(Windows only), it gave xml errors and wasn't able to store the data
at all.

In this case, I can always manually replace 213 with 39, but that is a
very specific fix where I would prefer one that gave a general
solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sarah