Standalone Not Running for a Customer

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:28:49 EDT 2008

Tom,

If this is the same problem I remember from back a couple years ago,
then the app bundle is missing the CFBundleIdentifier key from the
info.plist file in the bundle. There was a bug in earlier versions of
Rev where this key did not get added, but it has been fixed for a
while now (I don't remember the version where the fix appeared).
Anyway, you have two options: fix it manually, or rebuild your app
with a newer version of Rev.

You can fix it manually by editing the info.plist file using the
Property List Editor tool (easy way) that comes with Apple's developer
tools. Or you can use any editor capable of xml editing I believe (a
little harder, but still not too bad). You need to add the key
CFBundleIdentifier, and then a value that you specify. Usually this
should be something like com.[companyname].[productname]. You could
look at some other app bundle for an example.

I actually have a stack that can fix the problem for you, but you
would need to edit it to match your application and situation. If
you're interested, I can certainly email it to you. Just let me know.
If nothing else, it might give you an easier grasp on how to fix it
manually.

Chris

On Jun 12, 2008, at 6:12 AM, Tom Cole wrote:

> A person who has bought a license for a standalone of mine is having
> a problem running it. Here is the note he sent. Does anyone know the
> answer to his problem, so I can help him? I made the program with
> Rev 2.1.
> Thanks,
> Tom
>
> He writes:
> * iMac
> * OS 10.4.10
> * Managed user account, restricted to certain programs, no admin
> rights.
>
> I installed the program and I can run it fine as an admin. However,
> I can't give the student (non-admin) account permission to use it.
> It doesn't appear in the list of applications to select. If I click
> "locate..." and browse to the application and select it that way, it
> tells me it won't run with the limitations I've select, but it
> doesn't tell me the specific problem.
>
> I tried adding permissions to change system preferences and such
> things, but I still get the error. It seems like maybe it doesn't
> want to run at all for a managed user account, but I don't see why
> it would need admin rights to do anything it's doing.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.
www.readnaturally.com