SPAM-MED: Re: Time to upgrade my technique...

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 20:19:59 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:

> People are more receptive when (a) they are invested in the conversation in
> some way, and (b) are spoken to with concepts that are relevant to their
> current frame of reference. So the first step is trying to find a common
> frame of reference for the students (whether they be adult or not), and
> then
> tailor the conversation from there. Or at least that's what's worked for
> me...

Couldn't agree more. I find a mobile phone analogy works for kids.

Fields are like, accessing the address book, finding the person, opening
their entry, then selecting dial.
Variables are like speed dial. You know what you put in, and with only two
key presses you get the same result as above but much quicker.