ask file with filter/type - how to read the selected type ?

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Tue Jun 10 08:08:40 EDT 2008

is there any way to know what file type user selects in ask file with
filter dialog ? I need to specify different handlers for file "Save as",
and now am first asking user to select the type of a desired output
(i.e. raw binary, ascii text, png image or ppm image) and next opening
ask file dialog to get the path for saving the data. But I know "this is
not good", because users are used to a single dialog for file saving
where they choose save as type and the data is processed without any
additional disturbances... The problem is that the selection of ask file
dialog is returned in 'it' variable but the selected type of file in the
dropdown list of that dialog is not returned in any readable way, or is
it?..

Best regards
Viktoras