VISTA Printing Woes

John Miller johnmiller1950 at zoominternet.net
Wed Jun 4 16:28:23 EDT 2008

Greetings All,

I posted earlier but got no response.  I'm hoping that someone can help.

Several years ago I wrote a fairly complicated program for a company
to manage inventory and do estimation proposals.

There are a number of reports that need to be printed.  Everything
works fine in XP, but VISTA has screwed  all the printing routines up
royally.

Sometimes when printing, the whole system crashes.  Sometimes I get a
"Revolution Engine for Win32 has stopped working" error message.
Sometimes a report will print partially or not at all.  Once this
happens, then the printer spews out page after page of empty sheets
of paper.

The only solution is to quit the program, if it hasn't already quit
on its own and start up again.

I have been trying to isolate this problem for over a month, and I am
going bonkers.

The problem is the same on HP, Epson, and Canon printers, so I don't
think it is an incompatible printer problem.  Printing from other
applications using VISTA on the same printers works fine.

I have discovered a few things that decrease the frequency of the
problem, but offer no final cure.
	1.  Change fields with a borderwidth of 2 to a borderwidth of 1.
	2. When opening a stack to print, don't use "open card x of stack
XYZ" - instead use "open stack XYZ" and then "go to card x"
	3. Avoid use of the "answer printer" command.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my problem.

I am using version 2.8.1.

Thanks,
John Miller