quick question about splash stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 28 11:11:24 EDT 2008

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> What do people usually do when launching an app using a splash stack, to check
> if the main stack successfully opens?
>
> Do you use try, or do you write a custom error handler?
>
> I am wondering how to take care of the case of main stack corruption.  I'd
> like to have something that if the stack doesn't load, it does a series of
> things to restore from the ~ file.

Corruption of a stack file per se is very rare with Rev - background info:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-June/017959.html>
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-June/018033.html>

And because a standalone can't write to itself, corrupted standalones
are even rarer than stack files.

That said, a host of other issues (low memory, etc.) can also affect
whether a standalone will be able to successfully complete its
initialization.

For that reason I don't use a splash screen as my main stack, but
instead use an error message as the anchor window, as explained  in the
second half of this post:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-December/027718.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin