Could it be this simple?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 03:56:12 EDT 2008

Bill Vlahos wrote:

"Other than not being "Signed by Microsoft" (unless I go through the certification/payment process), is there anything wrong with what I'm suggesting?"

Having spent most of last night "bu**ering around" with a friend's PC which sported 5 Trojan horses (1 of them even claimed to be "Signed by Microsoft") and all sorts of jolly bent cookies, viruses and so forth, I can't help but view "Signed by Microsoft" as neither an endorsement or anything else of any great significance.

I would even go so far as to say that I would feel far more comfortable with a Windows program that made no such claim; then when it turned out to be something awful I wouldn't feel so cheesed-off!

Well; good things sometimes arise out of misfortune; my friends have asked me to scrub their PC and pop Ubuntu on it + WINE: nothing could give me greater pleasure. These friends run a notary's office and have 5 PCs which got badly bashed by some Ransomware about 2 years ago; I scrubbed their Windows and they have been running Ubuntu + Open Office Org with no crashes, no demands from Russian crooks for money, and no Trojans or viruses; so they are already well aware of the advantages of well-installed Linux (and I use "well-installed" advisedly, as simply bunging a distro on a PC can sometimes produce negative results). The only problem these folk have to face is telling their 10 year old that he will lose all his computer games (a thing for which I have no sympathy at all as, as far as I am concerned, 90% of computer games serve no purpose except to numb the brain); will introduce the "poor little mite" to Wesnoth.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.