Rev cgi vs. php

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Jan 31 07:54:57 EST 2008

On 31/01/08 at 11:47 +0000 Luis apparently wrote:
>Dolphin (now unsupported) and VisualWorks. The third one I'm keeping
>to myself for now (there's some IP issues to resolve, so I'd rather
>they are left to their negotiations for now). There's tons of others
>out there, these are the ones I use.
>This really has nothing to do with the dev environment as the
>languages have none of these 'limits'.
>
>Is Transcript a language or 'the' IDE? (wrt RunRev).
>
>That's where scriptLimits are a real PITA: These languages have no
>'line' limits, so the IDE doesn't cripple them.
>There's a big difference between a language that encourages
>conciseness to an IDE that enforces it (ie: crippling the language).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Luis.

Transcript (now Revolution, formerly also MetaTalk) is the language.
RunRev is the IDE. The language as such has no limits. The script
limits are imposed by the runtime engine when it runs without a
license (like in standalone).

The script limits can be seen as a business model. VisualWorks has no
limits but you pay royalties for any commercial products made with
it. RunRev has no royalties but puts script limit restriction into
standalones so you can't make another RunRev IDE and use it for free.

Robert