Rev cgi vs. php

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Jan 31 07:47:43 EST 2008

Robert,

Almost all languages that have some EVAL function that is able to
evaluate at runtime a chunk of code will be able to do this. Most
scripting languages offer this kind of feature.

Being able to execute script of arbitrary lenght would enable us to:
- create a simple "revolution server pages"
- create runtime optimizers, that analyze a given code and generate better
- create macros (how to do macro expansion with the scriptlimits?!)

I must say that Revolution is in no way crippled and that having such
limits does make some sense. Without it, nothing stops you from
creating a standalone with all the features of Revolution IDE
including standalone generation. If it was not for the scriptlimits,
every single user could fork and create their own development product
and this is probably something that would hurt runrev business.

VisualWorks and Dolphin are both smalltalk and without the ability to
do meta programming and observe your own state, smalltalk can't be
done. Like lisp, is a language (environment) that depends heavily on
it's ability to change things at runtime.

Scripting languages such as javascript, python, ruby and others who
offer similar features are all open source and they are just a
language, not an IDE or RAD tool with a company behind.

Things like Delphi, C++ Builder are not able to execute code generated
at runtime due to compilation issues, they can link to a library at
run time but this is something that everyone and his dog can do too.

I don't think that REALBasic offers all REALBasic features to
rbScript, I can be wrong, but I don't really know if rbScript can
access all of REALBasic at runtime.

Removing the scriptlimits will in essence, unlock the engine to us and
thus empower everyone to go the way he wants, even if you want to
create "Huntime Hevolution" which is exactly the same as Rev but with
some cosmetic changes and sell it.

Thats why the script limits are there. They are in place to protect
runrev business and product. I don't like the limits because I tend to
think in terms of meta programming, generating functions that generate
the code that I want but I know that runrev is in no way crippled.

I've been in this community for some years now, I've created many
softwares that generate half their code at runtime even with the
scriptlimits in place. Those limits are not crippling rev, they are
just making us work around. Like a bay without a bridge, we can still
cross it, just take a little round trip.

Andre