Rev cgi vs. php

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 30 14:52:54 EST 2008

Andre Garzia wrote:

> php is loaded as an apache module, so it has the feature of being one
> engine handling eerything which makes some stuff easy such as session
> tracking and data exchanges. It was also created from the ground up to
> be a web thing, thus sporting lots of libraries that helps building
> web stuff. With Rev, we have marvelous tools for the desktop but we
> had to coin our own web libraries.
>
> php has no scriptLimits, so it can read a chunk of text with mixed
> code in it and execute it in place, this is the way php developers
> usually code, they create web page templates with logic mixed with
> presentation. This is not the most elegant way that the
> über-pro-developers do but it makes good for quick prototyping and
> templating. With Revolution we can't do that, as soon as we reach an
> 11 statements chunck, we're dead.
>
> If we had something like mod_revolution and no scriptLimits, we could
> conquer the web in no time.

Maybe we don't need to eliminate scriptLimits in general if they were
lifted for use within the CGI for the merge function.  Such a
restriction wouldn't pose a risk to RunRev, and would cover 99.9% of all
useful things we'd want to do with Rev on the web, wouldn't it?

Shall I submit that enhancement request?  Should be simple to implement.

Less simple would be to make an Apache module out of Rev.  How much work
do you suppose that would be?

I'm not too concerned about libraries.  After all, we have you. And on
your day off we have another couple thousand scripters who collectively
can churn out almost as much code as you. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal