Rev cgi vs. php

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Jan 30 13:45:47 EST 2008

Richard,

php is loaded as an apache module, so it has the feature of being one
engine handling eerything which makes some stuff easy such as session
tracking and data exchanges. It was also created from the ground up to
be a web thing, thus sporting lots of libraries that helps building
web stuff. With Rev, we have marvelous tools for the desktop but we
had to coin our own web libraries.

php has no scriptLimits, so it can read a chunk of text with mixed
code in it and execute it in place, this is the way php developers
usually code, they create web page templates with logic mixed with
presentation. This is not the most elegant way that the
über-pro-developers do but it makes good for quick prototyping and
templating. With Revolution we can't do that, as soon as we reach an
11 statements chunck, we're dead.

If we had something like mod_revolution and no scriptLimits, we could
conquer the web in no time.

Andre