Rev cgi vs. php

David Brooks dbrooks at unlserve.unl.edu
Wed Jan 30 11:39:25 EST 2008

I have a site that does 1.8G/week, and has done as much as 5G/week for
a sustained period (months). The 1.8g traffic  translates to about 1
75-page book per minute, 24/7. I've had no issues at all using [the
older] rev engine for the cgi portions of this traffic.

Based on something Jerry Daniels showed at RevCon  West, I store data
in xml-like files. Some of my students have used MySQL with similar
success. The traffic slow down at the site probably is due to storing
data as xml files accessed through RunRev rather than static pages
that one Googles and hits directly. The functionality of the site,
supporting high school chemistry teachers taking graduate courses in
chemistry pedagogy, has been enhanced.

There was a time when I used only HyperCard stacks as a backend. This
depended upon generating and detecting an appleEvent. Because Apache
does not generate appleEvents, an intermediary (ACGI Dispatcher) was
used. This turns out to have what appears to be a 2^11 byte limit for
data transfer.

Andre Garzia developed a workaround for this. If you are interested,
perhaps you see whether Andre's consulting schedule can fit you in. If
you are really good with RunRev and your traffic is low, this might be
a good way to go, too.

WRT RunRev, both for stacks and cgi, I am a VERY satisfied customer.

Best,

Dave Brooks