[ANN] Movie Finder Demo Posted

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jan 30 05:48:38 EST 2008

Hello List:

Some months ago, I was inspired by all the mashup/API stuff happening on the
Web and came across a Google-powered RSS feed for movie listings (built by
isnoop.net).  It occurred to me that this type of thing could be
incorporated into a Rev app and I wound up putting together a widget/gadget
of sorts that illustrates its use.  You enter your ZIP code, hit enter, and
the stack finds theaters in the area, from which you can view current movies
and showtimes.

There is also Google Map link that links you to browser directions for the
currently selected theater -- done by a less elegant scraping of Google
HTML, but it seems to work (this is a bit of a cop out -- ideally this
feature should be incorporated using revBrowser, but that's a project I'll
save for version 2...).

I think it would be great to see more of this kind of thing done in the Rev
community to demonstrate the possibilities of Rev apps that use current
technologies.

Anyway, I thought folks might find this fun and/or useful.  The stack was
built in Rev 2.8.1 and tested on OS X, Vista and XP (apologies to
international listmembers, the stack is set up to work only with US ZIP
codes).  All of the key code is in the card script.

To view the stack, execute the following in your message box:

   go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/moviefinder.rev"

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director