Localizing menus

GIRARD Damien dam-pro.girard at laposte.net
Mon Jan 28 12:18:33 EST 2008

Mark Smith a écrit :
> I've got this little freeware app for backing up files from an iPod,
> and one of my french users has asked about localizing it.
> I've read through the past threads on the list, and I've got a decent
> custom property scheme working for all the bits and pieces in the UI.
> However, I'm wondering about the menus - this is on OS X.
>
> Take the 'Edit' menu. Setting the label of btn "Edit" to "Édition"
> (extracted from my cp set) at start up is no problem, but then I need
> to replace the menuItems "Cut, Copy, Paste" with their localized
> counterparts, and also respond to the menuPick messages for each. This
> seems quote complicated. Has anyone some advice they can give me?
>
> Also, if anyone has the time, ability and inclination to help with
> translating the 20 words and phrases used into any other languages
> that would be amazing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark_______________________________________________

Hello Mark,

In order to translate a menu, you have to work with "menuhistory".
This function will return to you the position in the menu of the entry
selected.

This is the script that I ever use in my translated menu.

on menupick
switch (the menuhistory of me)
case 1
-- script of the first menu entry.
break
case 2
-- script for the second menu entry
break
end switch
end menupick

Note: About the menuhistory, line delimiter are considered like menu item.
Example:
Cut      --> 1
Copy   --> 2
Paste   --> 3
Preference --> 5

I am French, I can try to translate you some sentence from English to
French.

Regards,

GIRARD Damien
Dam-pro