Photo Processing , Gallery and IPTC Data app

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jan 24 14:27:52 EST 2008

Ian Wood wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2008, at 01:34, Sivakatirswami wrote:
>
>> 1) Display of thumbnails of images in a folder in a "gallery" type
>> window where images can be moved around, reordered, renamed, deleted
>> etc. where the window, if resized. will scale the number of row and
>> columns of thumbnails automatically (the app needs to  scale nicely
>> for a user on we 30 inch cinema display, and also run sweetly on a 15
>> inch MacBook Pro.
>
> You're assuming it's all going to be JPEG images? What will you do if
> someone wants to shoot RAW?

Good question. If someone is shooting RAW, typically the setting can be
set to include an adjacent JPG copy (we would require it) and the
context would be a publication work flow where the final presentation
would be a hi-resolution image for print media production. Given the
size of RAW and time frames/bandwidth for uploads, sending us "overnite"
the entire shoot for a day's work or several day's work would be out of
the question. But, even for a 12 page feature story where we pull  both
the front cover of the magazine and the gatefold from the same shoot, we
would rarely use more than 20 photos in the end (unless we are doing
lot of interviews) Knowing this in  advance (and we always know this in
advance as setting up a reporter and photographer to go on location to
some location like Malaysia or Burma etc. takes months of advance work.)
we would have the photographer, write captions against the jpgs, send us
the entire shoot as 200 px wide thumbs... it can run as high as 400-600
shots for a 3-6 day gig... If he owns the shoot we pick, pay for and he
delivers, just 20 RAW.  If we own the entire shoot he can burn disks and
mails them but meanwhile we start comps and layout right away.
Portfolio will have cataloged all the jpgs and we can pull up an index
of the metadata for the entire shoot later, and then we only have to
open the RAW files for those shots we know we are going to use when the
disks finally arrive. Have you ever tried doing photo selection on 200
Raw images!

>> 2) Reading and writing "standards quality" binary EXIF-IPTC-XMP data
>> to JPG or TIF files from inside revolution.
>>
>> I know it can be done... but it's tricky.
>
> Calling EXIFTools is likely to be FAR easier and more reliable than
> trying to implement it yourself.
> http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Right! Thanks for that input... agree 100%