check for a CD

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:57:34 EST 2008

I would think this has to be a common problem, so I'm wondering how
the rest of you have gotten around it.

The single-user version of our software comes with media content on a
series of CDs. Things have been working pretty well, except in a case
where a user might have more than one CD drive (we're talking Windows
only here). I have written a routine that scans through each available
drive looking for our CD. The problem is, if there is no CD in the
drive(s) at all, a "no disk" error, generated by Windows, pops up.
This error will appear for each drive that does not have a CD in it.
My question is, is there some way to suppress this error? I'm simply
using a "if there is a file" type of check to determine if our CD is
in one of the drives. Is there some other method available to me? A
command line utility perhaps?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris