Hierarchical Menus

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sun Jan 20 17:39:39 EST 2008

Dave,

Some kind of menus allow hierarchicals and some don't. I got tired of
working around the stock offerings for serious custom interface work.
Pulldown,popup, can do it,   option shows the levels all at once and
returns different data  combobox shows a semi-hierarchial list and
also has to be read differently, and cascade is just strange.

The best way to make the actual controls you really need is to make
them from scratch -- then they can do anything you want. And it's not
as hard as you might think. All a combobox is - is a popupMenu
coupled with a field in a group and some logic.

I ran into the same stumbling block a couple of years ago, just
before the last Revcon (I miss you guys) and then attended a
performance by the amazing Ken Ray, who showed how to 'think out of
the box' when it comes to making controls.   I wish you could see his
demonstration online - he's probably saving it and more for the
upcoming conference in Las Vegas.  I was quite inspired to come up
with my own solution, even before I left the conference that week!

http://houseofcubes.com/rev/multiBOX.png

my only graphics, the button, is just a screenshot of the combobox
button and stretched out and a round rectangle and the rest are stock
fields, and an invisible button.
there are three of these, side by side, in the application.

  Thanks, Ken, for the inspiration.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o