importing a bunch of files

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Jan 16 11:39:26 EST 2008

Bonjour Thierry,

Why don't you store directly your text files into custom properties,
the name of which would be the path?
Of course you have to replace spaces and slashes with some string
that will not break the name of the custom prop into several parts :-)
BTW note that custom props names are limited to 255 chars but I
assume it should be enough.
Using fields will be cross platform straight on. With custom props
you'll have to use macToIso or isoToMac to get the right text
according to the platform.

Le 16 janv. 08 à 17:25, Thierry a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Another thread about kind of Database :-)
>

> For a specific project, I need to implement this:
>
> I have an arbitrary set of text files stored on the disk in an
> arbitrary numbers of directories, within a root one, ie:
>
> dirRoot/
> dirRoot/f1
> dirRoor/f2
> dirRoot/dir2/f3
> dirRoot/dir2/dir3/f4
> dirRoot/dir4/f5
>
> When it comes to deliver the project,
> I want to import all theses files,
> and the tree organization
> inside a stack ( datas only stack ).
>
> I'm thinking of mapping each directory
> to a group; the first group would be named dirRoot,
> dir2 and dir4 would become groups named dir2 and dir4,
>  children of the first group,
> dir3 a group inside dir2 group, etc...
>
> and for the files, importing them in custom properties
> of these groups with the same name as the original files.
>
> Let say it could be a hundred files or even more....
>
> One extreme could be one group with a hundred properties,
> another one a hundred  nested groups with one property for each group.
>
> Do you think this is realistic to do so,
> and what kind of pitfalls i can find on the way ?
>
> Another solution could be to create as many text fields as files,
> with each field named with the full path of the corresponding
> file..... ?
>
> Any hints or thoughts are welcome, before I jump into it.
>
> Regards,
> Thierry

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.