Rev cgi search question

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Mon Jan 14 14:28:08 EST 2008

I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish the following.

1. User starts a search of my text-based database (via browser and
Rev cgi).
2. My app finds the results (which are a series of line numbers...
possibly as many as 1000)
3. I now want to store those results so that when the user brings up
a data page resulting from the search, they can go back to the
results (presumably to go to another data page from the results)
without having to re-do the search or use the back-button on their
browser. I know how to store the results within a link (i.e. http://
www.results.com?results=1,2,3..."), and I'm using this in various
places already. But this won't work for me in all cases.

I'm guessing one solution might be to issue a temporary id number and
connect that to a given users search process. The results could then
be stored in a file on the server under this ID, with this page
liquidated after some period of time (30 minutes? 60 minutes?). Would
this work or is there a better way to handle this.

Thanks.
Richard Miller