tapping into finder events

Thierry 00bioarchimed at free.fr
Thu Jan 10 16:43:39 EST 2008

Hi,

and even a bit more..... introduced in DARWIN !!!!

Regards,
Thierry
========
FSEvents API

Introduced in Mac OS X v10.5, the FSEvents API notifies your
application when changes occur in the file system. You can use file
system events to monitor directories for any changes, such as the
creation, modification, or removal of contained files and
directories. Although kqueues provide similar behavior, the FSEvents
API provides a much simpler way to monitor many directories at once.
For example, you can use file system events to monitor entire file
system hierarchies rooted at a specific directory and still receive
notifications about individual directories in the hierarchy. The
implementation of file system events is lightweight and efficient,
providing built-in coalescing when multiple changes occur within a
short period of time to one or many directories.

The FSEvents API is not intended for detecting fine-grained changes
to individual files. You would not use this to detect changes to an
individual file as in a virus checker program. Instead, you might use
FSEvents to detect general changes to a file hierarchy. For example,
you might use this technology in backup software to detect what files
changed. You might also use it to monitor a set of data files your
application uses, but which can be modified by other applications as
well......