tapping into finder events

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 05:41:08 EST 2008

On 10 Jan 2008, at 04:10, Randall Lee Reetz wrote:

> What i am asking is no closer to the os than most anything xtalk
> does... Its just that it apparently hasnt be asked of xtalk before.

It's MUCH lower-level than most of what Rev does - what makes you
think it isn't? The fact that the OS-level tool for this has to be run
as Root is a pretty big clue.
Read the caveat on http://www.kernelthread.com/software/fslogger/ for
a bit more info.

The only application I can think of on a Mac that does anything even
*similar* is AEMonitor which is only a developer tool and in any case
is no longer under development.

> I can't think of anything more useful than being able to use
> automate file system objects as they are created by the user (in any
> program).  Am i really the only one who is wishing in this
> direction?  Imagine something as simple as having every image file
> tht ends up on the desktop being emeditely moved to the user's
> image folder.  Imagine the spotlight comments fork of that file
> being auto annotated with relavent ontological trees.  Imagine alias
> files being auto generated and stored in appropriate project folder
> trees.  And that is just the beginning.  One could script super
> complex semantic pattern engines that could extract user interest
> vectors, auto track resources, and potentially "do some of our work
> for us".  If apple and microsoft are to scared to build inteligence
> into their os's... The maybe we could.

Some of this could be done by setting up a series of hot folders and
sending AppleScript messages to a Rev app. Not ideal, but just about
doable, and much less of a security risk than setting it up from the
Rev end.

Ian