OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 13:34:12 EST 2008

I've made a claim in the UK when the hard disk on my G5 iMac packed
up about a month before the end of the AppleCare warranty period. It
was fixed fairly promptly (just over a week) by an authorised
repairer, not Apple itself. The repairer complained that they were
obliged to get the part from Apple whereas they could have sourced it
more quickly elsewhere...

OTOH, my son's new Intel iMac in Paris broke almost as soon as he got
it, and there was considerable delay in making the diagnosis and then
a delay of a few weeks in doing the repair (via a third party)
apparently due to shortage of parts. Not as bad as Brazil, but not
good enough IMHO. I spent a long time talking to Apple France about
it myself, but it didn't speed things up. I was surprised that they
didn't offer to give him a new machine, considering it was so new.

So it seems the further away you are from the US, the worse it gets -
or something like that.

Graham