advice on a Rev-plus-internet setup (off-topic)

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Sun Jan 6 06:13:08 EST 2008

Hi Nicolas,

any communication between the client and the server can be sniffed. So
passwords that client passes to the server are not sufficient to protect
the database. As Ken wrote, you can try setting up different access
levels for different users in MySQL. And never trust the submitted
content, which means your relay script has to prevent any access to the
database unless the submitted string is not what it is supposed to be.

For example you can use regular expressions in the serverside script to
detect anything that should not come from the client - something like this:
unless ($q=~m/|alter |insert|truncate|drop |modify|create|\0|use |check
| key /i)
{
#pass sql string ($q) to the database and return result
}
else
{
# Access denied to prevent SQL injection attempt
print "sorry, you can't";
exit 0;
}

Best wishes