Many Cards Versus One Card and a List Field

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 5 18:35:03 EST 2008

Gregory Lypny wrote:
> So my question is, given the speed of Revolution as compared to good
> old Hypercard, is there any big advantage to storing data from each
> record on individual cards as opposed to maintaining, say, a
> tab-delimited list field that populates a single card with the
> record's data when that records line in the list field is clicked?

While it can take a bit more work up front to set up, I think you'll
come to love the flexibility of maintaining your own data storage.

What HyperCard did was bind your data to the physical card record
structure, which means you get one presentation (the detail view, or
"card") quite easily but at the expense of any other presentation (such
as a list view).

I've been storing most of the data my apps work with in tab-delimited
custom properties for many years.  I have a lot of code which might be
of use - I'll see about posting some of it in my Handy Handlers column
at revJournal.com soon, but if you'll tell me a bit more about your
project maybe I have something lying around which would be useful right now.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal