Can a text field have multiple lines inside a table cell?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 03:20:56 EST 2008

On 1/4/08 9:29 PM, "rgould8 at aol.com" <rgould8 at aol.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it's possible to have multiple lines inside a table
> cell?? I'm presently using a table field object, and putting data into that
> field object via:
>
> set the HTMLtext of field "picklist" to datafromURL
>
> And I've love it if I could make the text in the left-most column wrap to 2
> lines.? If I attempt to put a "<br>" in the text for cell #1, it bumps
> anything after the <br> to the next line.

Well, <BR> is a line ending tag, so that what it does.
I don't think html has a tag for wrapping within a 'tab-like character'
unless you use a table cell with a fixed format (or other html structure).

Anyway, Rev only has a subset of html tags for use in a field.

----
One work around that may be worth it for you... use a separate hidden field
the width of your left cell, set the text of that hidden field to the string
you want to display.  Now this field will wrap according to font, etc.
Export a snapshot to a temp image name, then insert an img src tag into the
first cell, then, of course, set the lineheight to the max along the line
(in this case, the first cell).

I can't remember the details for the export method, but Eric Chatonet has a
tutorial that covers handling images, such as thumbnails.

-----------------
Another way to display this this would be to use the Rev Browser product,
formerly known as AltBrowser, which does support all kinds of tags since it
uses Internet Explorer on Win32 and Safari on Mac.  Just make a browser
container the correct size and placement, then
 'set the html of theWindow to stringOfData'

Should work.  Of course, user clicking would have to be a link syntax such
as <a href="">visible text</a>, or a button, etc.

The table container is on the list of future updates, but I am not sure of
any arrival schedule.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas