OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jan 5 00:52:19 EST 2008

OK, back from the 'Geniuses' at Apple-- who claim this is an unusual
problem...

But, turns out my 1 yr warranty expires on Feb 2, so they'll send it in and
"hopefully" it will get fixed and sent back. And, coincidently, they talked
me into purchasing Applecare. Seeing how I'm so close to Feb 2 and not
guaranteed a fixed unit, it seemed the prudent thing to do.

Stephen, yes, you are correct-- I didn't purchase Applecare for a laptop--
it's not my primary machine and mostly justs sits in the corner turned off.
I (incorrectly) surmised I wouldn't have problems.

I did purchase 'insurance' for a previous laptop from CompUSA. When a hard
drive failed, I took it in and they took well over 30 days to fix it. So
long in fact I had to go out and purchase a new laptop-- so, I'm a bit off
the whole insurance thing. My current Sony doesn't have it-- and after a
couple years the display exhibited a bad column of pixels. I bought a new
display online ($225) and Chris and I put it in ourselves. Much less than
what the insurance would've cost.

Now, all that said-- props out to Apple for even having a store with
'Geniuses' who can fix stuff. Sony, Dell, HP or anyone else doesn't have it.
It does give one a bit more confidence, especially seeing how overly helpful
the Geniuses tend to be-- I think they replace more than they need to. And--
Applecare isn't that expensive either-- $250 for my Laptop for 3 years. Not
bad.

Even thought Chris wants to know if I 'serve cheese with my wine', I'm
hoping this turns out OK.