OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Jan 4 17:00:18 EST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:46:36 -0600, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Wow!  Thanks a bunch to all of you for the most helpful tips and fixes. Yes,
> I had already installed the firmware upgrade, but it didn't fix it.

I found out the same thing... my firmware is installed, but it didn't
fix it either.

> The funny thing is, sometimes it shuts off even when the AC is hooked
> up. I notice if I'm playing back video or doing anything remotely processor
> intensive, it gets worse.

Exactly! My MBP is on AC all the time, and I get that too - especialy
when I'm backing up (not a great time for a shutdown!).

> It can be really frustrating, in the middle of a Rev compile and kaput.
> Arggg!
>
> My Sony laptop is also Dual Core but doesn't seem to get as hot and in 2
> years of continual service everyday, has yet to shut down once.
>
> The only sure fire fix for now, is to completely remove the battery and run
> only on AC.

Have you tried this? The reason I ask is that my understanding is that
it's a logic board issue, not a battery issue. If that's really working
for you, I'll try it myself and let you know if it works for me. But in
the meantime the smcFanContol software was really saved my butt...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/