OT: MacBook randomly shuts down..

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Jan 4 16:46:36 EST 2008

Wow!  Thanks a bunch to all of you for the most helpful tips and fixes. Yes,
I had already installed the firmware upgrade, but it didn't fix it. I've
heard about the bad battery before and I hope to get it checked out today at
Apple. The funny thing is, sometimes it shuts off even when the AC is hooked
up. I notice if I'm playing back video or doing anything remotely processor
intensive, it gets worse. Plus, I use my MacBook laptop..on my lap, which I
suppose isn't great for cooling.

It can be really frustrating, in the middle of a Rev compile and kaput.
Arggg!

My Sony laptop is also Dual Core but doesn't seem to get as hot and in 2
years of continual service everyday, has yet to shut down once.

The only sure fire fix for now, is to completely remove the battery and run
only on AC. I'm not sure if the laptop is over 1 year or not-- and wonder
about Apple's warranty on fixing it. I would be surprised if they didn't
just go ahead and fix it for free, as there have been SOOO many problems
with this design. I'll certainly keep you posted.

Thanks again all :-)