New User Doc Whine & What?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Jan 3 19:03:41 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 2:32 PM, Mike Arnold <ma at snowcamp.org> wrote:

> Does the list mind/tolerate such beginner questions? (I mean
> extraordinarily nice response so far!)  I do try to read the doc, and
> really really prefer to find it myself ... if I can find where to
> look.

Mike, welcome to Rev. If you can get through it's verboseness, it is a
fantastic way to create software-- good software.

I recently subscribed to another programming list (no names), and newbie
questions there are typically responded to by RTFM type answers...or "search
this forum before asking us", etc..

One of the great things about Rev, is you can ask questions here, and pretty
much immediately someone will answer. Really helps out in keeping the
frustration curve down on what can be actually a somewhat steep learning
curve for typical OOP programmers.

If you're serious about learning, you should consider going to the Rev
conference in Vegas this year. They have a pre-conference which is for
newbies and helps people get up to speed.

Rev's a funny bird, sometimes it flies, other times it swims. It doesn't
know whether it's a tool for 'the inventive user' or the 'professional
programmer', or just to play around with. But, I can tell you, serious work
can be done with it. Many people on this list use it to run their business
with-- it's that good, and robust.

I recently created a video editor with 3 audio tracks which concatenates
videos and audio together in 40 hours. You can see the interface at:

http://www.gadgetplugins.com/chippstuff/VideoEditor.png

Good luck!