Porting a rev application to the web

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Jan 3 18:17:41 EST 2008

Hello Richard,

There is not a simple answer for that email. Porting a desktop
application to the web is never easy. What I can say straight forward
to you is that you'll be able to gather data from the same stacks or
databases that your desktop application uses but you'll need to build
a new presentation layer for we can't display stacks on the web.

RevHTTP is your friend while development occurs. It's a simple web
server that you can run inside the IDE so you can use the debugger
while building your cgi. It beats doing it raw on apache.

I distribute a package called RevOnRockets
http://www.andregarzia.com/RevOnRockets that is able to help you, it
has CGI libraries (including libCGI) bundled and examples, it's a nice
educational package. I use it all the time on real world cases.

My advise to you is, first split your source into modules that you can
reuse. Create a stack library that has all the needed functionality of
your application but doesn't deal with the presentation layer. For
example, create a library for querying and searching your
encyclopedia, for picking the specific data about a given wood and the
like. When you have this part done, it will be far easier to wrap it
around a CGI or a Desktop App or whichever you want.

Cheers
andre