New User Doc Whine & What?

Mike Arnold ma at snowcamp.org
Thu Jan 3 15:32:59 EST 2008

Ken,

Excellent!  Thank you for taking that much time.

Message hierarchy : Yea, I got it, in fact I have a printed version
of the message path stuck to the wall right beside my head :-)  Heck,
in a previous life, I could even code a little smalltalk.  Something
about the card vs stack doesn't come quite as intuitive at this time
... especially cross-stack messages ... but I am older now, neurons
not firing like they used to fire.

Scripting Conferences:  very nice.  Will download them all. (some of
the videos in the Getting Started documentation will download, but
then the tool doesn't recognize it and therefore will not play it)

Checkbox button:  I took all of those steps, except I started in the
dictionary, since that seems to be the only 'reference'.  But I was
concentrating on the 'container' and 'button' idea not so much
checkbox. (especially since the dictionary was less than helpful with
check)  Hilite just wasn't a word I was looking for ... so, the
checkmark being 'on' isn't what the button contains, just a property
of the checkmark.  (As I discovered the checkmark can hold a value
too ... wonder if that's defined behavior?)

This kind of thing is all about learning the words.

>3) The Glossary would seem to be a good place for getting a list of
>properties of objects and perhaps adding something simple to the root
>glossary entries for the different object types would help a lot. For
>example if "button" in the Glossary had a list of properties with a
>short one-line description of each property, and clicking the prop
>would link to the proper Dictionary page, that would be a "low hanging
>fruit" benefit to the user.

It does seems this would be the simplest next step (i.e. just adding
more info to the existing tool)
Though since I was convinced that the button was a container that,
for a checkbox, would contain it's check status, I probably would
have missed hilite.

Properties & messages should be in the dictionary listed under their
related objects.

Variable watch window:
>This happens when a variable has been used, but has not been defined to
>hold any value.

Yep, got it, but I am single stepping through the script, setting the
variables and the variable values do not update to contain the new
values.

Ok, restarting RR seems to have cleared the problem.  There are a
number of interface problems like this, where things just aren't
right.  Often, the menu doesn't change right and needs toggling from
the run->edit->run pointers when debugging.  Sometimes (too often)
the run pointer doesn't run :-) .... but usually doing the toggle, or
even clicking in another application and coming back to RR will clear
it up.

Overall, I think there is a lot of potential in RR ... well, that is
an understatement a great deal of potential, but to unlock it, some
reference doc needs to be written.  As a software developer myself, I
know how this sounds ... I mean, will it sell another copy?  Maybe
not, but it will get another renewal.  (Note that I ordered the book,
but haven't received it yet, almost a month later)

Note that I've gotten RR to do applescripts, command line tools, and
sql ... all quite quickly ... all great, its these annoying, not so
obvious, english-like UI problems that make me crazy.

The BNF, without any explanation even, would go a long way.

Does the list mind/tolerate such beginner questions? (I mean
extraordinarily nice response so far!)  I do try to read the doc, and
really really prefer to find it myself ... if I can find where to
look.

thanks so much,
Mike.