Engelbart and Kay --was: Back to the Future with Hypercard

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Wed Jan 2 18:47:13 EST 2008

Hi Ken,

Of course, you need features that I don't need and the reverse. In
fact, I am now using features in Revolution that I never missed in
HyperCard and I probably can't do without them anymore.

HyperCard is very different from Revolution, for a few reasons. One
of the main reasons is that HyperCard is a complete database by
itself, which Revolution simply isn't. I believe we need those new
features, because Revolution is a different product. I also believe
that there is nothing we do in Revolution, which couldn't be done in
HyperCard. In Revolution, we just do it in a different way, probably
more quickly, and we use new technologies to get the job done.

I have no intention whatsoever to start a discussion about whether
Rev is better/worse/the same compared to HC. The two are just too
different for that. I'd rather not be part of that round table
discussion. I just wanted to make clear that many, but not all, of
the innovations in Revolution that Bill listed off the top of his
head aren't real innovations. They are just improvements of features
that have been seen elsewhere before. Great improvements for sure,
but no real innovations. For many of the innovations, we have to
credit the HyperCard developers.

To avoid an endless discussion, this is meant to be my last
contribution to this thread. Anyone who wants to continue discussing
this topic with me, please write me off-list.

Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Quickly extract data from your HyperCard stacks with DIFfersifier.
http://differsifier.economy-x-talk.com

Op 2-jan-2008, om 16:42 heeft Ken Ray het volgende geschreven: