Engelbart and Kay --was: Back to the Future with Hypercard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 2 00:30:56 EST 2008

Mark Schonewille wrote:

>> - Greatly enhanced speed of execution
>
> On my Mac Intel, running in SheepShaver, HyperCard is much faster
> than Revolution, except if used a number cruncher.

It's been many years since I've benchmarked relative performance, but
last time I ran HyperBench and RevBench on the same platform HC was much
slower than Rev in a broad range of tasks.

But admittedly benchmarking is a tricky thing to do well, and it would
be interesting to find things beyond card-to-card navigation (1-bit will
always outperform 32-bit) and find (Atkinson's "hint bits" are
apparently worth their patent) in which HC bests Rev.

If you have any benchmark examples it may point us to areas of the
engine which might benefit from focused optimization.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal