Engelbart and Kay --was: Back to the Future with Hypercard

Judy Perry katheryn.swynford at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 23:05:26 EST 2008

Joe,

It's an OSS PPC Emulator that you can run HC in.  From
http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/ :

What is SheepShaver?

SheepShaver is a MacOS run-time environment for BeOS and Linux that
allows you to run classic MacOS applications inside the BeOS/Linux
multitasking environment. This means that both BeOS/Linux and MacOS
applications can run at the same time (usually in a window on the
BeOS/Linux desktop) and data can be exchanged between them. If you are
using a PowerPC-based system, applications will run at native speed
(i.e. with no emulation involved). There is also a built-in PowerPC
emulator for non-PowerPC systems.

SheepShaver is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
License (GPL). However, you still need a copy of MacOS and a PowerMac
ROM image to use SheepShaver. If you're planning to run SheepShaver on
a PowerMac, you probably already have these two items.

Supported systems

SheepShaver runs with varying degree of functionality on the following systems:

BeOS/PPC R4/R5
Linux/ppc
Linux/ia32 (AKA x86)
Linux/amd64 (Opteron, Athlon64)
Darwin/ppc
Some of SheepShaver's features

Runs MacOS 7.5.2 thru 9.0.4. MacOS X is not supported.
Color video display
CD quality sound output
Access to floppy disks, CD-ROMs and HFS(+) partitions on hard disks
Easy file exchange with the host OS via a "Host Directory Tree" icon
on the Mac desktop
Internet and LAN networking via Ethernet
Serial drivers
SCSI Manager (old-style) emulation

Judy