Problems with UTF8

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Feb 29 15:25:03 EST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:04 PM, GIRARD Damien wrote:

> I want to store texts in UTF8.
> But, I have a problem, when I do that function:
> unidecode(uniencode("eéàèe"),UTF8), all accented characters diseapear.
> If I let them as UTF16, this work, accented characters are returned.
>
> It is a Runrev bug ? or maybe I did something wrong ?

Hi Damien,

Are you sure the accented characters are disappearing or do they just
appear as junk in the rev message box (or field)? I ask because once
you encode to UTF8 you can't necessarily display the text in Rev
accurately. What happens if you first encode the text as UTF8 and then
decode to UTF16 and assign it to the unicodeText property of a field?

put unidecode(uniencode("eéàèe"),UTF8) into theUTF8Text
set the unicodeText of field 1 to uniencode(theUTF8Text, "UTF8")

Do the characters look right then?

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore