Change Case of first character of text string

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 06:10:10 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Eric Chatonet <
eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com> wrote:

> I would
> like to consider this problem from another point of view :-)
> Instead of having to search for all forms ('smith', 'Smith' or
> 'SMITH') I would rather prefer to reformat user entries as soon as
> they are done to match a 'style' sheet that will make all data
> display consistent.

Whilst I fully agree that there are many instances where formating data on
entry is the way to go (date, time, money, Countries, States, etc etc,) I
believe a person's Name is not one of them. Unless no one else is going to
see it but you. Here are a couple of sample names:

da Vinci
deJorgne
O'Loghlen
McDonald
MacDonald
Smith-Clark

A simple capitalise the first letter of the word might render this.

Da Vinci
Dejorgne
O'loghlen
Mcdonald
Macdonald
Smith-clark

The code to format names so that they are 'correctly' capitalised is far far
more complex and time consuming that the simple solution offered by Len;
case insensitive searches.

Why would it matter, it doesn't if you're the only one who sees it, but if
it's viewed by a wider audience, particularly the very people whose names
are entered (ie, it goes on mailing labels or appears in the company
directory), you might be surprised at how many get touchy when you can't
spell or capitalise their name correctly - especially when they're higher up
the food chain;-)