about the message path

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Fri Feb 29 03:32:51 EST 2008

Bonjour Thierry,

Le 29 févr. 08 à 09:22, Thierry a écrit :

> Bonjour Eric,

>>> how the plugin concept fit into the message hierarchy ?
>>>
>> Actually a plugin is a stack like any another one but...
>
> Yes, but, as you say  :-)
>
>> If you look at 'Plugin Settings' in 'Development' menu, you'll see
>> that a plugin is able to receive a lot of specific messages like
>> revMouseMove or revSelectionChanged: this means that these system
>> messages (mouseMove or selectionChanged) will be sent to the
>> default stack but to your plugin too(using the rev prefix)  to let
>> you act accordingly.
>
> When you say a lot of specific messages,
>  do you mean only those described in the plugin settings window,
> or even others or even all rev messages available ?

Those that are listed are the only ones you can use.
Actually when I began to write plugins, I thought there were not
numerous enough but finally all messages you could need are there :-)

>> These messages are sent to the plugin stack when specified
>> (actually there are some custom properties set by the IDE in the
>> plugin stack that allow this: I am not going to be more precise
>> unless you need it :-)
>
> Are you talking about cRevLoadInfo property ?
> If yes, I understand  what you mean...

Exactly :-)

>> But to be frank, it's never as simple as it appears...
>
> To be also frank, I never thought it was that simple....
>

>> Nevertheless, hope this helps.
>
> Oui, merci beaucoup !
> But, I'm still stuck with the message hierarchy ?
> Let me take a simple example ( it's just an example ) :
>
> I would like to offer a Service to the Rev developper.
> Have handlers like StartCoffeeMachine, StopCoffeeMachine,
> PleaseAStrongCoffeeForPluginDevelopment,etc....
> and then a bunch of buttons and field for preferences.
>
> How do I state that this handlers are available everywhere ?

Not sure I understand what you want:
Are you saying you want a library put in use that will make all your
handlers available from any stack open in the IDE?
Probably I miss your point...

> Otherwise,
> what about writing one more of your nice tutorials ?

LOL
Thanks for the kind words but how many people would be really
interested in?

> Regards,
> Thierry

Best regards from Paris,