Extracting text from PDF

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 23:03:10 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:24 AM, -= JB =- <sundown at pacifier.com> wrote:

> Finally I installed it again in my user Library folder and
> started up the Apple TextEdit.  It works great.

Excellent.

> Thanks for taking the time to keep asking questions.  The
> problem all came from me trying to open it using the wrong
> program and not the installation.

It's worth noting that PDF2RTFService shouldn't just work in TextEdit & it's
not only limited to PDF. Any 'proper' Cocoa application that uses Quartz
should be able to open not only PDF, but PostScript and Encapsulated
PostScript files. Pages does it, but my all time favourite BBEdit does
not:-(

Oh, and that road you mentioned, I've been down that many many times. I just
need to look at my first post in this thread. Extracting the PDF and
creating a new document all because I couldn't get AppleScript to talk
directly to Rev. Turns out it can, very easily, it was just that I was down
that road and just kept going....:-(

Lastly, for those who are still following this. In my first post I indicated
that I believed that PDF2RTF was for personal use only. I can't seem to find
that anywhere & believe I may have confused it with the PDF Browser Plugin
which allows you to view PDFs directly in your browser without the need to
download the file.

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

PDF Browser Plugin 2 is free for not-for-profit activities if used at home
or at educational institutions.

So those of you with a commercial interest in extracting text from PDF,
PostScript or EPS files you may want to take a closer look at:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/services.html