Debugging Help

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Wed Feb 27 12:31:52 EST 2008

I had forgotten the Message Watcher!

Is there any documentation on the Message Watcher?  I'm getting way to
many messages.  I'm not sure if I try to Supress Messages whether I'm
supposed to put in the messages I WANT to see (a few) or the ones I
DON'T want to see (this would be a long list).

Also, there is a number in () after each message.  What does this mean?
The problem I ran into is that if I have a closeField handler in the
object, the group it's in, the card it's on and the stack it's in, the
message watch isn't telling me WHICH closeField handler is causing the
problem.

I've tried the single step route but any time I hit a "put" statement
(which puts text in the message box), the debugger stops working and the
whole thing is locked up until I hit "Run" in the debugger.  Is there
some problem single stepping from one stack to another or from my stack
to some IDE element?

I'm going to give Jim Ault's suggestion a try but it involves a lot more
work.

I actually found where the source of my problem is (although it's just
as baffling as the problem above).  The field I'm tabbing out of is a
badge number.  When the field is closed, I want to query the database
for that badge number and then insert the Officer Name (from the
database) in the next field over.  I'm using the following:

on closeField
put the target into tTarget
put tTarget into tNbrFld
put fld tNbrFld into tVal
if tVal is a number....  The code continues on from here to look up the
badge number etc.
else clear the field
end if
end closeField

I have this little snippet of code on several fields (in different
groups) and they work fine.  What's happening on this particular field
is that when I single step through the code, the step "put fld tNbrFld
into tVal" put empty into tVal (which is of course, not a number).   The
code is IDENTICAL  (even had my non-programmer wife compare the two) but
the behavior is different.  Can anyone explain why this would be true?

Thanks again!!

len morgan