DP 4 for Linux: Aaaarrrggg!

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 13:13:30 EST 2008

Oh dear guys, I am sure it is wonderful in other ways, BUT  BUT  BUT!

It still does not do multiple desktops right.  Or at all, really.  First thing
I tried.

It has the little icon in the top left, that works fine and moves your windows
to another desktop, whichever you want, but then, as soon as you use one of
them, back all the windows fly into one desktop again.  Just like it always
has.

This really matters.  What it means is, I have at the moment 6 empty desktops,
and I cannot even put the dictionary on one of them.  All my 7 Rev windows
have to clutter up one desktop while the others are empty.  No other Linux
app behaves like this.  All others, you put whichever window you like on
whichever desktop you like and then use them.

For instance, OO.  I usually have the dictionary open on one desktop and the
spreadsheet open on another, when I'm doing spreadsheets.  At the very least
I would like to do the same with Rev.

I know this is peculiar right now to the Linux desktops - but all of them have
pagers like this, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox.  Whatever people think about
this in HIG terms, its the way Linux people work.  So its got to be
supported.  I think Apple will supports it in Leopard.  So it it is going to
have to be done sooner or later.

Or hey, tell me I am idiotically missing some simple way to make it work.
I'll be overjoyed!

Peter