RunRev for iPhone and iPod Touch

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:00:51 EST 2008

Getting to this thread a bit late...

>  > A Windows mobile version of Rev would be great (hey I think I even voted for
>  > one in BugZilla about three years ago) but if I could only have one mobile
>  > Rev platform then it would be for the iPhone/iPod Touch. These are the first
>  > handheld devices that I've seen that, IMHO, have real potential in the
>  > education sector. PDAs, whether Windows powered or not, have never taken off
>  > among students but these just might!

I couldn't agree more Terry. The phone manufacturers cannot understand
the lure of the iPhone and don't get the importance of the user
experience where features are very similar. The same with handhelds -
the iPhone/iPod touch make using this sort of device so much easier
and more pleasant, that I reckon such things are finally going to
become mainstream.

>  It's a tough call.  The iPhone has captured some healthy mindshare, but
>  like the Mac GUI it won't be long before its gestures (and more) are
>  simply industry standard.
>
>  And for the other capabilities, competing vendors don't have far to go.
>   I got a Palm Centro for my gal, and it's quite a powerful little
>  device.  And I have to say I prefer the tactile response of a fixed
>  keypad over the where-did-I-just-press? virtual keypad of the iPhone.
>  And ideal device may be more like the Sidekick: usable physical keypad
>  with large screen display.  Add gestures and it's an iPhone-killer.

Richard, a lot of the people who say they don't like the iPhone
keyboard are won over as soon as they actually use one. Have you
played with one? I have used handhelds with keyboards and I find the
iPod touch/iPhone keyboard to be enormously easier to use and more
accurate. Even typing passwords is easy as the feedback for which
button you are pressing is immediate and obvious.

As regards a Rev port, while I would love to se it happen, and hope
that the iPhone's version of OS X is similar enough to the full thing
to make such a port relatively easy, I agree that RunRev should
concentrate on the desktop version for now.

Meanwhile I am hoping to learn enough from RevOnRockets to be able to
make some simple web apps. I have already tailored some Rev-created &
updated web pages to suit but I would love to be able to make these
pages more interactive.

Cheers,
Sarah