RunRev for iPhone and iPod Touch

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 22 17:26:29 EST 2008

Terry Judd wrote:

>> If I were RunRev, long before I jumped on the iPhone bandwaqon I'd make
>> an engine that runs on the Windows-based handhelds.  Simpler API, and a
>> much larger installed base.
>
> A Windows mobile version of Rev would be great (hey I think I even voted for
> one in BugZilla about three years ago) but if I could only have one mobile
> Rev platform then it would be for the iPhone/iPod Touch. These are the first
> handheld devices that I've seen that, IMHO, have real potential in the
> education sector. PDAs, whether Windows powered or not, have never taken off
> among students but these just might!

It's a tough call.  The iPhone has captured some healthy mindshare, but
like the Mac GUI it won't be long before its gestures (and more) are
simply industry standard.

And for the other capabilities, competing vendors don't have far to go.
  I got a Palm Centro for my gal, and it's quite a powerful little
device.  And I have to say I prefer the tactile response of a fixed
keypad over the where-did-I-just-press? virtual keypad of the iPhone.
And ideal device may be more like the Sidekick: usable physical keypad
with large screen display.  Add gestures and it's an iPhone-killer.

It'll be interesting to see whether Apple opens up the iPhone
architecture faster than competing vendors add gestures.  But while that
race is on, it would take RunRev some time to deliver an engine for
either device.  With both the iPhone and competing alternatives in such
a state of flux, the whole thing is quite a moving target, and in the
meantime I really, really, really need independent column alignment and
zero-width columns in Rev fields, as do a few thousand others.

So it may be best for Rev to keep focusing on honing the engine for the
business tasks currently asked of it, while the Handheld Platform Wars
play themselves out for at least another year.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal