UI performance and large data set in Table Object

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 21 15:17:21 EST 2008

Jan Schenkel wrote:

>> Now when large record sets are returned from a
>> search, the UI (user
>> interface) slows down, especially when resizing the
>> stack to see more
>> records in the table object. When resizing with no
>> records, the UI is
>> performs normally with fast resizing.
> The problem is two-fold: it's a lot of data that has
> to go through some pipe before it arrives in
> Revolution, and Revolution then has to process and
> format a lot of that to determine what to actually
> display on screen, recalculate the size of the
> scrollbar, etc.

FWIW, I did some subjective tests with scrolling large amounts of data
in Rev vs. Word, Excel, and others. Rev outperformed them all, quite
noticeably.

So if it seems slow, try the same size data anywhere else.  Sometimes a
lot of data just takes a long time to redraw.

Fortunately the user will likely resize a window infrequently.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal